Sunday, June 8, 2014

Around Town


The rain stopped and it was time to walk around town and get a few photos of all the neat places that are nearby. 


This is the main intersection of town, and if you look down past the bakery, you'll see the blue window frames of our rental home.  I told you we're central!



Flowers everywhere!




 


The second Bakery half a block away, and our favourite.


The Butcher




The Hairdresser


The Pharmacy
 
 

And just in case you're tempted to make this town your own, here's a lovely little place right on main street that is for sale, "À Vendre".

We went to Domfront for some shopping and stopped for lunch at this delightful little Crêperie.  We were led to the back to an unexpected secret garden where peace and quiet reigned.  I got to sit under the pear tree!

 
 
 



 
This is an old butter churn doubling as a host table where the menus are kept.

That was for lunch.  Much later, at around 7:45 p.m., we stopped for dinner at Le Bistrot St. Julien, still in Domfront.  Believe it or not, we were hungry again!




 
 
 
We both started with Camembert topped with an onion relish, a few bites of lardons (bacon), and baked to melted perfection.  That slate serving platter is exactly like the 6 that we bought last year and that uncle Gunter sealed with 7 coats of varnish!  We've seen these in so many French restaurants.


Karl had a tender pork tenderloin.


I had three kinds of fish in a beurre blanc sauce. 


Karl kept the rosé wine pouring.


This feast was topped off with crème brûlée.



The local church, as seen as you exit the restaurant. 


Anecdote of the day:  Seeing the photo of the Boucherie reminds me of my little faux-pas.  I've been in France often enough to know that one does not ask for "poitrine de poulet" when requesting chicken breast.  As soon as the butcher looked at me with a questioning look, I knew I had made a mistake.  One needs to ask for a "filet de poulet".  I'm sure he had a good laugh with his wife that evening, saying that there was a Canadian woman wanting to buy chicken boobs!

1 comment:

  1. It looks as though you had a wonderful feast to help celebrate my birthday! I was certainly thinking of you two and how you must be enjoying your latest adventure. xo Margi

    ReplyDelete